Endorsement Laws

The tanker endorsement laws regarding who can and cannot haul specific things change fairly often.  To combat this, drivers who want to haul liquid or gas can apply for a particular endorsement on their CDL.  Since 2017, states have been passing laws for drivers to have a tanker endorsement in two types of cases. First, if they are hauling any container of liquid or gas carrying 120 gallons, they must have a tanker endorsement. Second, if they are hauling 1,000 or more combined gallons of liquid or gas, the government also requires the endorsement.

The Endorsement Process

Compared to other endorsements, the Tanker CDL endorsement is fairly easy to get.  Like other endorsements, the Tanker endorsement makes you apply in person at the local DMV.  When you arrive, DMV will require valid ID and proof of citizenship, including a valid CDL for your state.

After applying for the Tanker CDL endorsement the DMV requires truckers to take a test. This is the case for most endorsements. Tests like these quiz your knowledge of the vehicles and the laws related to the Tanker endorsement.  This includes several different topics such as the legal responsibilities of a driver with the Tanker endorsement, how to load and unload materials, and other questions about basic knowledge of the trucks and tankers themselves. Much of the test especially regards the tanker’s center of gravity and the possibility of liquid throwing off the balance of the truck.

Applying for and acquiring this endorsement can grow your value and ability as a driver.  When paired with the HAZMAT endorsement, this can allow drivers to transport any number of things, including oil and gasoline.


To read about the HAZMAT Endorsement process, click here!

Good luck to any drivers applying for their Tanker endorsement!

For more information and tips regarding the trucking industry, check out our blog!

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for updates!